Surprisingly, there are lots of yellow and orange fruits available all over the world. Usually, these are from a category of exotic fruits that includes various citrus fruits, papayas, pineapples, and many more (see the list below).
The yellow color is caused by various types of substances called flavonoids. Orange, on the other hand, is caused by the presence of various types of carotenes or carotenoids (a type of photosynthetic pigment). Each of these substances has also many health benefits for your body.
Let me show you the most complex list of yellow and orange fruits out there.
LIST OF YELLOW & ORANGE FRUITS
IMAGE GALLERY OF YELLOW & ORANGE FRUITS
BENEFITS OF YELLOW & ORANGE FRUITS FOR YOUR BODY
Both yellow and orange fruits contain many substances such as bioflavonoids and carotenoids that have beneficial effects on your body. These include:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Folate & Folic acid
- Citrus limonoids
As you can see, both yellow and orange fruits are powerhouses that provide a lot of excellent substances for your body. Let’s discuss the individual substances into greater details.
One of the carotenoids, lycopene is a substance that gives lot of fruits its reddish color. Not only that, it is a potent antioxidant with many health benefits:
- Reduction of a chance of developing cancer
- Promotes the health of a prostate gland
- Lowers the risk of heart disease
- Promotes healthy function of your arteries
- Boosts sperm concentration in men
- Protects skin against sunburn
- Helps prevent diabetes
- Helps prevent osteoporosis
- Reduction of age-related macular degeneration
Did you know that lycopene is much more easily absorbed by your body when cooked? The best sources of lycopene among yellow and orange fruits are papaya, grapefruit, and mangoes.
Is a bioflavonoid substance that can be found the most in the peel of citrus fruits. It comes with several health benefits as well:
- Eases allergy and asthma symptoms thanks to antihistamine properties
- Helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels
- Reduces risks of developing certain types of cancer
- Promotes the health of your capillaries
Did you know that the richest source of hesperidin is grapefruit? Also, you can find this substance in lemons, limes, oranges, and tangerines.
Vitamin C is a very potent antioxidant that protects your body from harmful free radicals. Also, it is connected with these benefits:
- Improves iron absorption
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Reduction of high cholesterol
- Promotes function of white blood cells
- Important for the health of your skin, hair, and nails (delays aging process)
- Improves wound healing processes
- Stimulates collagen production
- Helps prevent cancer
- Aids in the treatment of osteoarthritis
- Promotes the health of your eyes
You can find vitamin C mostly in citrus fruits, but also in red fruits, including guava, strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, and papaya.
VITAMIN A (BETA CAROTENE)
Vitamin A (more precisely its plant-based form called provitamin A or beta-carotene) is a very potent antioxidant that protects your body from harmful free radicals. Also, it is connected with these benefits:
- Protects your eyes from advanced age-related macular degeneration
- Promotes the good health of your bones and teeth
- Improves function of your immune system and white blood cells
- Reduces your cholesterol levels
- Prevents formation of urinary stones
- Promotes wound healing and tissue regeneration
- Promotes the health of your skin and soft tissue
- Reduces inflammation in your body
- Aids in reproduction and sperm health
You can find vitamin A mostly in brightly colored fruits such as cantaloupe, grapefruit, papaya, and apricots.
FOLATE (NATURAL FORM OF SYNTHETIC FOLIC ACID)
A folate is a natural form of vitamin B9 that is available in various types of foods. Except helping your body to get rid of free radicals, this substance is connected with following benefits:
- Decreased risk of birth defects
- Minimized risk of depression
- Promotion of the health and function of the brain
- Maintaining a healthy heart
- Promotion of liver health
- Preservation of bone health
- Protection against the development of cancer
- Promotes fertility
You can find folate in bananas, papayas, oranges, and grapefruits. Also, you can discover these substances in red fruits, such as strawberries or raspberries.
Citrus limonoids are a group of substances called phytochemicals, that are most abundant (as the name suggests) in citrus fruits. There are three most common limonoids: limonin, nomilin, and nomilinic acid.
Limonoids, as such, are potent substances with a lot of potential benefits for your body:
- Provide potent antibacterial properties
- Show anti-obesity effects
- Help with detoxification
- Inhibit replication of HIV-1 virus
- Provide anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic activities
- Lower your cholesterol levels
- Help protect against various types of cancer
You can find limonoids mostly in citrus fruits, especially in lemons, tangerines, and pomelos.