There is a vast number of green vegetables all around the world. The color of these veggies is usually caused by the retention of chlorophyll inside the vegetable.
Although this color may not be as appealing to your eye as that of red, yellow, or purple vegetables, green veggies provide lots of benefits for your body. Hence you should make these a part of your daily diet.
Without any further delay, let me present you with the largest list of green vegetables available on the market.
LIST OF GREEN VEGETABLES
Green Bell Peppers
Green Hot Peppers
IMAGE GALLERY OF GREEN VEGETABLES
GREEN BELL PEPPERS
GREEN HOT PEPPERS
BENEFITS OF GREEN VEGETABLES FOR YOUR BODY
Green vegetables are not only tasty and refreshing but also an excellent choice for those who love salads. What is more, these veggies are also full of beneficial substances for your body, such as:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Lutein & Zeaxanthin (Carotenoids)
There are several other helpful substances present, but there are only trace amounts and that is why I have decided not to mention these in this article.
Vitamin A (more precisely its plant-based form called provitamin A or beta-carotene) is a very potent antioxidant that protects your body from harmful free radicals. Also, it is connected with these benefits:
- Protects your eyes from advanced age-related macular degeneration
- Promotes the good health of your bones and teeth
- Improves function of your immune system and white blood cells
- Reduces your cholesterol levels
- Prevents formation of urinary stones
- Promotes wound healing and tissue regeneration
- Promotes the health of your skin and soft tissue
- Reduces inflammation in your body
- Aids in reproduction and sperm health
You can find vitamin A in kale, collards, turnip greens, and spinach. Also, there is a substantial amount of this vitamin in brightly colored fruits such as cantaloupe, grapefruit, papaya, and apricots.
Vitamin C is a well-known substance. Vitamin C is a very potent antioxidant that protects your body from harmful free radicals.
Also, it is connected with these benefits:
- Improves iron absorption
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Reduction of high cholesterol
- Promotes function of white blood cells
- Important for the health of your skin, hair, and nails (delays aging process)
- Improves wound healing processes
- Stimulates collagen production
- Helps prevent cancer
- Aids in the treatment of osteoarthritis
- Promotes the health of your eyes
You can find vitamin C in peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, snow peas, cabbage, and many more. Also, it is available in yellow or even red fruits, including guava, strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, and papaya.
Vitamin E is a necessary substance that makes your body function well. Actually, it has several benefits:
- Promotes skin health and production of collagen
- Protects your eye health
- Helps to treat Alzheimer´s disease
- Provides anti-inflammatory properties
- Prevents formation of blood clots
There are countless benefits of vitamin E. Except for many green vegetables, you can find vitamin E in green fruits (such as avocado), and various nuts, and seeds.
Vitamin K is an incredible substance that is widely available in dark leafy greens and has many health benefits for your body:
- Helps your body to fight cancer
- Promotes strong bones
- Improves blood clotting & heart health
- Makes your body sensitive to insulin
- Promotes brain function
There are countless benefits of vitamin K. Except for many green vegetables, such as kale, spring onions, and cabbage. You can find vitamin K also in prunes.
A folate is a natural form of vitamin B9 that is available in various types of foods. Except helping your body to get rid of free radicals, this substance is connected with following benefits:
- Decreased risk of birth defects
- Minimized risk of depression
- Promotion of the health and function of the brain
- Maintaining a healthy heart
- Promotion of liver health
- Preservation of bone health
- Protection against the development of cancer
- Promotes fertility
You can find folate in dark leafy greens, broccoli, asparagus, and peas. Except these, you can find it also in yellow fruits (bananas, papayas, oranges, and grapefruits) and in red fruits (strawberries or raspberries).
LUTEIN & ZEAXANTHIN (CAROTENOIDS)
Carotenoids, in general, are very potent antioxidants that protect your body from harmful free radicals. Usually, these substances are connected with these benefits:
- Protect your eyes from advanced age-related macular degeneration
- Promote the good health of your bones and teeth
- Prevent formation of urinary stones
- Promote the health of your skin and soft tissue
- Reduce inflammation in your body
- Aid in reproduction and sperm health
As you can see, there are many benefits of carotenoids that are widely available in the veggies you eat.
Quercetin is another flavonoid hidden inside brightly colored fruits and vegetables. Flavonoids, in general, have potent antioxidant properties and provide your body with these benefits:
- Help maintain healthy blood pressure
- Reduce risk of developing certain types of cancer
- Initiate apoptosis (cell death) of cancerous cells
- Prevent the release of histamine by your immune system
- Reduce the number of free radicals roaming inside your body
- Have potent anti-inflammatory properties
- Reduce symptoms of arthritis
- Maintain healthy arteries and reduce cholesterol
As you can see, quercetin is a very potent substance that can help your body to function much better. It can be found most commonly in various types of peppers.
Chlorophyll is a green pigment available in various foods. It comes with several health benefits for your body:
- Helps your body to fight cancer
- Protects your liver and improves detoxification
- Improves wound healing and recovery
- Promotes weight control and digestion
- Increases the count of red blood cells
As you can see, this plant-based green pigment is very useful so do not forget to add some ripe-green fruits into your daily diet.