Yellow and orange vegetables are incredible. These veggies are tasty, bright in color and provide a lot of healthy substances for your body.
The yellow color is caused by various types of substances called flavonoids. Orange, on the other hand, is caused by the presence of various types of carotenes or carotenoids (a type of photosynthetic pigment).
Let me show you the most complex list of yellow and orange vegetables out there.
LIST OF YELLOW & ORANGE VEGETABLES
Orange Bell Peppers
Yellow Bell Peppers
Orange Hot Peppers
Ho Chi Minh Hot Peppers
Yellow Summer Squash
IMAGE GALLERY OF YELLOW & ORANGE VEGETABLES
YELLOW BELL PEPPERS
ORANGE BELL PEPPERS
HO CHI MINH HOT PEPPERS
ORANGE HOT PEPPERS
YELLOW SUMMER SQUASH
BENEFITS OF YELLOW & ORANGE VEGETABLES FOR YOUR BODY
Yellow and orange veggies are truly remarkable. Not only are these rich in dietary fiber, they also include various substances such as bioflavonoids and carotenoids that have beneficial effects (anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory) on your body.
More precisely, you can find these substances:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Folate & Folic acid
Each of these substances provides special health benefits for your body and I am going to analyze them in the paragraphs below.
Vitamin A (more precisely its plant-based form called provitamin A or beta-carotene) is a very potent antioxidant that protects your body from harmful free radicals. Also, it is connected with these benefits:
- Protects your eyes from advanced age-related macular degeneration
- Promotes the good health of your bones and teeth
- Improves function of your immune system and white blood cells
- Reduces your cholesterol levels
- Prevents formation of urinary stones
- Promotes wound healing and tissue regeneration
- Promotes the health of your skin and soft tissue
- Reduces inflammation in your body
- Aids in reproduction and sperm health
You can find vitamin A mostly in brightly colored vegetables such as carrots or sweet potatoes.
Vitamin C is a well-known substance. Vitamin C is a very potent antioxidant that protects your body from harmful free radicals.
Also, it is connected with these benefits:
- Improves iron absorption
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Reduction of high cholesterol
- Promotes function of white blood cells
- Important for the health of your skin, hair, and nails (delays aging process)
- Improves wound healing processes
- Stimulates collagen production
- Helps prevent cancer
- Aids in the treatment of osteoarthritis
- Promotes the health of your eyes
You can find vitamin C mostly in chili peppers, and broccoli. However, you can find it also in red fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, and papaya.
One of the carotenoids, lycopene is a substance that gives a lot of vegetables its red color. Not only that, it is a potent antioxidant with many health benefits:
- Reduction of a chance of developing cancer
- Promotes the health of a prostate gland
- Lowers the risk of heart disease
- Promotes healthy function of your arteries
- Boosts sperm concentration in men
- Protects skin against sunburn
- Helps prevent diabetes
- Helps prevent osteoporosis
- Reduction of age-related macular degeneration
Did you know that lycopene is much more easily absorbed by your body when cooked? So don’t forget to place your tomatoes (one of the richest sources of lycopene that is technically a fruit) on the pan and heat them.
FOLATE & FOLIC ACID
A folate is a natural form of vitamin B9 that is available in various types of foods. Except helping your body to get rid of free radicals, this substance is connected with following benefits:
- Decreased risk of birth defects
- Minimized risk of depression
- Promotion of the health and function of the brain
- Maintaining a healthy heart
- Promotion of liver health
- Preservation of bone health
- Protection against the development of cancer
- Promotes fertility
You can find folate in various beets, potatoes, bananas, papayas, oranges, and grapefruits. Also, you can discover these substances in red fruits, such as strawberries or raspberries.